Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Go Fish JOW #500

This is Joke of the Week number 500, at least I think it is. In the early days I did not keep accurate track of all of my submissions. That said, five hundred JOWs is ‘about’ the right number. I started doing a JOW way back in the Twentieth Century. I really started getting regular with my postings almost ten years ago.

My JOW this week is fishing related. Note that I call it ‘fishing’ not ‘catching’. My friend Craig and I stayed down in Galveston with the Smiths last weekend. We had an absolutely great time, but despite all our best efforts we did not catch fish one. What we did get was a wonderful time.


Two avid fishermen go on a fishing trip. They rent all the equipment: the reels, the rods, the wading suits, the rowboat, the car, and even a cabin in the woods. They spend a fortune.
The first day they go fishing, but they don't catch anything. The same thing happens on the second day, and on the third day. It goes on like this until finally, on the last day of their vacation, one of the men catches a fish.
As they're driving home they're really depressed. One guy turns to the other and says, "Do you realize that this one lousy fish we caught cost us fifteen hundred dollars?"
The other guy says, "Wow! It's a good thing we didn't catch any more!"

+++++++
I found this clever little joke; it took me a moment to understand it.

What do you call a small fish magician?
A magic carpet. - Matt Bolger

===================
A couple of young boys were fishing at their special pond off the beaten track. All of a sudden, the Game Warden jumped out of the bushes.
Immediately, one of the boys threw his rod down and started running through the woods like a bat out of hell. The Game Warden was hot on his heels.
After about a half mile, the young man stopped and stooped over with his hands on his thighs to catch his breath, so the Game Warden finally caught up to him.
"Let's see your fishing license, boy!" the Warden gasped.
With that, the boy pulled out his wallet and gave the Game Warden a valid fishing license.
"Well, son,” said the Game Warden. "You must be about as dumb as a box of rocks! You don't have to run from me if you have a valid license!"
"Yes, sir,” replied the young guy. "But my friend back there, well, I don’t think he has one."

===================
Bill and Bubba rent a boat and go fishing. They find a real hot spot and catch a lot of fish .
After they return to shore, Bill turns to Bubba and says, "I hope you marked the spot where we caught all those fish."
"Yes, I marked an 'X' on the side of the boat to mark the spot," Bubba replies.
"You idiot. How do you know we'll get the same boat?"

===================
Due to budget cuts the California Highway Patrol and the California Department of Fish and Game will be merged to form a new department: California Department of Fish and CHiPs.

----------------------------

One day while driving home from his fishing trip in the pouring rain, a man got a flat tire outside of a monastery. A monk came out and invited the man inside to have dinner and to spend the night. The stranded motorist gladly accepted the monk's offer.
That evening the man had a wonderful dinner of fish and chips. He decided to compliment the chef.
Entering the kitchen, the man asked the cook, "Are you the fish friar?" "No," the chef replied, "I'm the chip monk."

=========
And finally, remember:
If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day.
If you teach him how to fish
He will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.

No comments: