Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Literary JOW #748



I have been following a literary thread from some friends lately.  Their literary comments have gotten a bit crazy – going off the tracks like a runaway Twain.  Some are so convinced that their favorite writer is the best that they all they say is ‘Hemmingway or the highway.’  I like the poetry of Edgar Allen but he is just a Poe boy and nobody loves him.  And his raven – “Nevermore” – so passive aggressive.  As they say the pen is mightier than the sword, but only if the sword is quite small and the pen is really, really big and sharp.
It is wonderful that some people still read books.  Of course, these days literature falls into two broad categories: books you want to be seen reading but don’t really want to read, and books that you want to read but do not want to be seen reading.  That is why 50 Shades of Gray should come in a book cover that says “Wuthering Heights” or something.
But with that on my mind, here are some literary jokes.

Can you imagine getting a Valentine’s Day from a famous author?
·         Just take this stupid phony card. Love J.D. Salinger
·         If I am forced to endure your company I think I might eventually come to love you.  Love, in the end, Jane Austin
·         I think I might have loved you, once.  In the rain.  Love Ernest Hemmingway
*******************************
A man walks into a book shop and says, ‘Can I have one of Shakespeare’s works?’
‘Of course, sir,’ says the salesman. ‘Which one?’
The man replies, ‘William.’

-----------------------------------------------------
A chicken runs into a library, goes to the main desk and says, ‘Book, bok, bok, boook.’ The librarian hands the chicken a book and it tucks it under its wing and runs out. A while later, the chicken runs back in, throws the book on the desk and says, ‘Book, bok, bok, bok, boook.’ Again the librarian gives it a book, and the chicken runs out with it. A few minutes later the chicken is back, and returns the book saying, ‘Boook, book, bok, bok, boook.’ The librarian gives the chicken a third book, but this time follows it as it runs out. The chicken runs down the street, through a park and down to the river where a frog is sitting on the bank. The chicken holds up the book to the frog, saying, ‘Book, bok, bok, boook’.
The frog replies, ‘Read-it, read-it, read-it…’

We authors get no respect.

·         ‘From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter – someday I intend reading it.’ Groucho Marx

·         ‘I read part of the book all the way through.’ Samuel Goldwyn

·         ‘I just received the copy of the book you sent me.  I shall waste no time reading it.’ Winston Churchill
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A writer sends his manuscript to a publisher with a note saying, ‘None of the characters in this story bear any resemblance to any person living or dead.’ The publisher sends back the book with a note saying, ‘That’s what’s wrong with it.’

**************************

A writer dies and Saint Peter offers him the choice of Hell or Heaven. To see what he has in store Saint Peter takes him to Hell where rows of writers are chained to their desks being whipped by demons in a steaming dungeon. However, when they get to Heaven the writer is astonished to see that nothing has changed – rows of writers are chained to their desks in a steaming dungeon being whipped. ‘Hey!’ says the writer, ‘this is just as bad as Hell!’ ‘No, it’s not,’ replies Saint Peter. ‘Up here you get published.’
………………………….
I had a dream last night that I wrote Lord of the rings, I was Tolkien in my sleep!

+++++++++++++++++++
Dick is introduced to an author at a party. ‘My last book was terribly difficult,’ the author says. ‘It took me over six years to complete.’
‘I can sympathize,’ replies Dick. ‘I’m a slow reader myself.’

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A man finds an old violin and an oil painting in his attic and takes them to be valued. ‘You know what you’ve got here,’ says the antiques dealer. ‘A Stradivarius and a Rembrandt.’
‘Wow!’ says the man. ‘So they must be worth millions.’
‘Unfortunately not,’ replies the dealer. ‘Rembrandt made the violin and Stradivarius painted the picture.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Writer to critic, ‘So what’s your opinion of my book?’
Critic, ‘It’s worthless.’
Writer, ‘I know, but I’d like to hear it anyway.’
===============
A critic is like a legless man teaching running.

And finally,

What is Forrest Gump’s computer password?   1Forrest1





No comments: